Are Your Windows and Doors Ready for the Cold in Danville, IL?
Whether or not you are ready, the colder weather is coming to Danville and you still have time to make sure your home’s windows and doors are prepped for winter. Regularly checking your windows and doors will help ensure that your home remains and helps save on energy bills.
How can you prepare your windows and doors for colder temperatures?
- Check to see if your windowsills and all the moving parts are clean – Dirt and debris left in windowsills or the moving parts on your home’s windows and doors can reduce the tightness and seal when closed.
- Examine your weather stripping – Weather stripping helps to keep air from leaking in when windows and doors are closed. It can become loose or torn over time, so check it out and reattach any loose portions or replace sections that are torn.
- Reapply caulk or sealant around windows and doors – Rain, water and sunlight can be harsh on exterior sealants and caulk. Remove damaged material and apply new sealant.
- Repair or replace damaged exterior surfaces – Take a look at your exterior surface for signs of moisture leaking, such as cracked or deteriorated wood. Replacing the damaged wood helps prevent cold air and moisture from coming back into your home.
- Install storm doors – Storm doors help add an additional layer of protection from air and moisture and improves energy performance.
- Install snap-in blinds or shades – Not only does this improve your privacy, but it also helps to insulate the house.
- Upgrade to energy-efficient windows and doors – If your home still has single-pane glass, clear glass, or your windows and doors are older, your heating bills may be higher than they need to be. Our experts can walk you through newer, energy-efficient options.
If you have additional questions about preparing your home for winter, contact your local Showroom in Danville at 217-443-3355.